As the Senior Vehicle Configuration and Test System (VCATS) Engineer, you will join a team of engineers in helping to define, design, and implement electrical and mechanical tests and configurations for an exciting new project. Helping to design a new vehicle and manufacturing facility, you will work closely with the various other internal and external stakeholders to ensure manufacturing strategies and processes are implemented successfully. The successful candidate will be responsible for assessing the electrical design and software feasibility, planning the production facility, including the layout, equipment & tooling requirements, process documentation and launch support.
- Define, specify, and introduce a VCATS testing system to electrically test and configure new vehicles in a new production environment.
- Define, specify, and introduce a EOL testing system to mechanically test and adjust new vehicles in a new production environment.
- Support the development and maturation of the Bill of Process, Bill of Tests and generating a BOP that is aligned to the current vehicle design and engineering assumptions, complete with synthetic process times to allow analysis and planning.
- Work with the Vehicle Engineering team to identify and influence the vehicle design to suit manufacturing (DfX) and establish diagnostic requirements.
- Lead the virtual factory layout, generating 2D floor plans and designs, to allow alignment of the facility to the Bill of Process and produce efficient EOL layouts.
- Work with and manage suppliers to specify and design the production, testing and tooling equipment required to successfully produce the vehicle in a new, purpose-built facility.
- Input using your experience into the design and specification of business processes, procedures, and programs to support the development and growth of the business.
- Feed into and update the LIC (Latest Indicated Cost) status of the production facility equipment to ensure alignment with the programme budget.
- and other tasks as assigned by a line manager
- This role involves high levels of autonomy and responsibility, with responsibility for setting the direction and objectives for the VCATS strategy.
- Responsible for managing budgets, suppliers, and specifications to deliver the required systems to support pre-production and J1 build requirements.
- Ensure Manufacturing Testing and Configuration Feasibility is quantified and matured through the vehicle development process.
- Ensure Manufacturing Non-Conformities are identified and reported and then work with Vehicle Engineering to design them out.
- Ensure the Design and Specification of the manufacturing facility tooling, and equipment is matured in conjunction with the vehicle design.
- Ensure Latest Costs and Lead-Times are collated, and changes reported to ensure alignment with approved budgets.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience in a comparable role within a vehicle OEM or CMO environment.
- Experience of integrated vehicle electrical test systems and strategies. (Bosch / DSA / Siemens Etc),
- A thorough understanding of automotive end-of-line testing systems and equipment, both electrical and mechanical.
- Understanding of manufacturing systems integration
- Experience using Teamcenter including VizMockup
- Experience operating to a vehicle product creation system
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience in a “Start-up” business is desirable
- 2D CAD (AutoCAD) experience in generating layouts would be desirable
- Experience with Jama or other requirements management system is desirable
SENIORITY LEVEL: Medium (6 years+)